|Name: John F. Trant
Position: Assistant Professor
|Brief Description of Research:|
| Dr. John Trant obtained his B.Sc. in medicinal chemistry (2006, Dr. W. Ogilvie) and his Ph.D. in bioorganic chemistry (2012, Dr. Robert Ben) from the University of Ottawa. After postdoctoral work with Tomas Hudlicky (total synthesis, Brock University) and Elizabeth Gillies (materials science, Western), he joined the faculty of the University of Windsor in July 2016.
He and his group are expert synthetic chemists, focusing on making natural and unnatural molecules in new and efficient ways. They are also experts in computational chemistry, to help them rationally design new drugs, and in supramolecular and polymer chemistry, to make new platforms for delivering these drugs.
His research focuses on the use of sustainable materials, especially peptides and carbohydrates, for health applications. His research in brain cancer focuses on developing new imaging agents that will allow surgeons to find individual cells using non-invasive imaging methods; developing nanocapsules that can cross the blood-brain barrier and that selectively deliver drugs only to cancer cells; and working with the other members of the network to design and synthesize next generation targeted chemotherapies to improve the outcomes for those battling brain cancers.
|5 Select Publications (trainees underlined):|
| For a full, and constantly updating list, please see: http://www.uwindsor.ca/people/jtrant/299/publications.
32. Badilov, D.; Rycek, L.; Trant, J.F.; Froese, J.; Murphy, B.; Hudlicky, T.* “Chemoenzymatic Approach to Tetrodotoxin: Synthesis of Fukuyama’s, Alonso’s, and Sato’s Advanced Intermediates” Angewandte Chemie, 2018 DOI: 10.1002/anie.201804602
30. Taimoory, S. M.; Sadraei, S. I.; Fayoumi, R.; Nasri, S.; Revington, M.; Trant, J. F.* “Preparation and Characterization of a Small Library of Thermally-Labile End-Caps for Variable-Temperature Triggering of Self-Immolative Polymers” Journal of Organic Chemistry 2018, 83, 4427-4440. DOI: 10.1021/acs.joc.8b00135
27. Meister, D.; Taimoory, S.M.; Trant, J.F.* “Synthetic amino acids for the treatment of MHC Type II diseases history and perspectives” Peptide Science, 2018, Accepted Feb 16, 2018. Special issue celebrating 150 years of Canadian peptide science. (Invited). DOI: 10.1002/pep2.24058
26. Beyeh, N.K.*; Díez, I.; Taimoory, S.M.; Meister, D.; Feig, A.; Trant, J.F.*; Ras, R.H.A.*; Rissanen, K.* “High-affinity and selective detection of pyrophosphate in water by a resorcinarene salt receptor” Chemical Science, 2018, 9, 1358-1367. DOI: 10.1039/C7SC05167K .
23. Sadraei, S. I.; Reynolds, M. R.; Trant, J.F.* “The synthesis and biological characterization of acetal-free mimics of the tumour-associated carbohydrate antigens” Advances in Carbohydrate Chemistry and Biochemistry, 2017, 74, 137-237. DOI: 10.1016/bs.accb.2017.10.003.
17. Trant, J.F.; Jain, N.; Mazzuca, D.M.; McIntosh, J.T.; Haeryfar, S.M.M.; Lecommandoux, S.; Gillies, E.R.* “Synthesis, self-assembly, and immunological bioactivity of α-galactose-functionalized dendron-lipid amphiphiles.” Nanoscale, 2016, 8, 17694-17704. DOI: 10.1039/c6nr05030a.